Pregnancy is the most crucial time period in every woman’s life. One must be completely aware about all the complications of pregnancy beforehand. While there can be many complications that can arise during the months of pregnancy, there is one common complication called preeclampsia. Preeclampsia is caused due to improper growth and development of placenta.
To find out if you have preeclampsia or not, you must look for the following signs:
- High blood pressure
- Swelling (edema)
- Severe headaches
- Pain caused in areas below ribs
- Improper vision
Other than these signs, one must ensure that fetus is growing properly. In case of preeclampsia, the growth is utterly poor and you must consult your doctor immediately.
There is no specific treatment for preeclampsia because it cannot be cured until the delivery. If not treated properly, it can lead to sever health consequences to mother. In a few cases, there might be chances of aborting the baby because of high risks. There are several medications that can help cope with preeclampsia. Most recommended medications are Antihypertensives, Anticonvulsants and Corticosteroids.
In several cases, expecting mothers are advised to rest as much as possible. During the period of rest, they are monitored regularly. That being said, rest is the solution for cases with mild risks. Women diagnosed with preeclampsia towards the end of their pregnancy time are advised to deliver baby as soon as possible.
Preeclampsia can turn out to be a serious pregnancy complication if not handled properly. You can prevent it with regular antenatal visits. If not cured at time, it can lead to following serious problems:
- HELLP Syndrome: It stands for Hemolysis, Elevated Liver enzymes and Low Platelet count. It can occur immediately after delivery of baby. Only way to overcome this condition is premature delivery.
- Poor growth of placenta: Baby is not provided with required oxygen and nutrition in this case. Eventually there might be breathing complications or lack of nutrition which can lead to premature birth of the child.
- Eclampsia: The most threatening consequence can be Eclampsia. This health situation arises when mother has preeclampsia as well as seizures. Due to eclampsia, expecting mother can go into coma or suffer from fatal brain damage.
- Damaged Placenta: Heavy bleeding can lead to total disruption of placenta. As a result of this both mother and child’s life can be under severe danger.
To ensure a healthy pregnancy, it is must to have the best gynecologist by your side. Contact Motherhood Chaitanya Hospital for more information on pregnancy complications.
Leave a Reply