The biggest decision that a mother takes as soon as she gives birth is whether to breastfeed or formula feed. We all know that there can be never a better food for a child than its mother’s milk. The mother’s milk has all the nutrients required for the proper growth of the baby. Gynecologist does advice to breastfeed whenever possible. Breastfeeding is almost considered a must for at least six months after the birth. Even after other foods are introduced to the baby, the doctors suggest breastfeeding for at least a year. Pregnancy specialist doctor feels that breastfeeding is good as long as the mother and child are comfortable.
The pros of breast milk –
- Presence of all the natural nutrients the baby requires.
- Presence of natural antibodies for the baby to resist illnesses and infections.
- It is easily digested.
- Lower risks of sudden infant death syndrome.
- Promotes higher levels of cognitive function in your baby.
- It also helps your child in later stage of life by reducing the risk of asthma, diabetes, overweight, cholesterol, cancer, etc.
- Breastfeeding is not just beneficial for the child, but for the mother too. It reduces the risk of breast cancer, heart diseases, diabetes, osteoporosis and ovarian cancer in the mothers.
In spite of all the benefits, some mothers cannot feed their child when they leave the maternity hospital due to their professional commitments. Instead of feeling guilty, the mothers can always pump their milk to feed the child later. If that doesn’t seem practical, formula feeding is okay. It may not be as good as the mother’s milk, but it is surely beneficial. It is the best alternative for breastfeeding. The best gynecologists in Chandigarh suggest that mothers opt for formula feeding if they cannot breastfeed.
The pros of formula feed are –
- It is convenient and easy.
- Formula feed takes time to digest, and hence regular feeding is not required.
- Women who breastfeed must be careful of what they consume. If you formula feed, you will not have to worry about that anymore.
Whatever you choose, make sure that your baby is well fed and healthy.
Leave a Reply